Wednesday, March 2, 2011

You Making Fun of Me?

Day #5
Picture of your favorite memory

First of all, I'm a day late on this.  Epic fail of the challenge.  I knew I would forget it at least one day....

And this particular one is really hard because I have so many happy memories to choose from.  I had a handful that were contenders and I narrowed it down to this one.


In case you missed it, I worked as a resident advisor for a program called College Bound in Moses Lake the summer after I graduated from college.  College Bound is a government funded educational program that seeks to provide promising high school students from underprivileged backgrounds with the academic and social support that they need to head to the next stage in their education.  In the case of the students in Moses Lake, a good number of my students were from families where one or both of their parents didn't speak English.  Moral of the story is that these kids are brilliant and were a huge blessing in my life, and honestly this job absolutely made me fall in love with the idea of social work.  I was an RA for the recent high school graduates who were headed to all different corners of the state to attend college.....and I just enjoyed the chance to learn from them and help them in any way that I could during this transitional period in their lives!  Not only that, but I fell in love with my staff.  I was the token white girl both on staff and out of the whole population, but they really embraced me and my lack of knowledge about Hispanic culture and helped give me the experience of a lifetime.

We planned activity nights every weekday night after their summer classes, and one of our activities was a huge talent show.  There were a lot of laughs and a lot of talented kids, but the part that made this my favorite memory was the show that the staff ladies put on.  We decided it would be fun to make a skit that mocked our male co-horts...and it turned out to be probably the most hilarious thing that I have ever helped mastermind.  I wish we had caught it on tape.  The only real painful thing about this was donning the UW jersey to play Chuy, our smarty-pants engineering major.

No comments:

Post a Comment