Thursday, March 3, 2011

Can't help who you love!

Day #7
Your Most Treasured Item

Some people might have to play out the fire scenario for this one....you know the one!  "What would you grab if your house was on fire?"  Pretty hard to consider really because there are so many things I'd be pretty devastated to lose!  Pictures, my book collection, my favorite pair of running shoes, etc...Amazing how much stuff you can form an attachment with, even though in reality it really is just STUFF.  But there is one thing that I wouldn't even consider allowing to be lost in flames....only one object in my life that I can honestly say is priceless in my eyes. 




Yeah, I'm not talking about the guy holding that poster although he is a great friend and deserves his own blog...I'm talking that little bundle of love on the poster!  So my mom and dad took me to a little drugstore around the block from their house when I was 10 months old, with the purpose of getting me a stuffed animal.  There were an assortment of cute ones that I could have chosen, but jokingly my mom grabbed onto this ugly thing and waved it in front of my face.  She grabbed it because it looked just like BooBoo Kitty (Shirley's stuffed animal on Laverne and Shirley...see below)



and while she was making some comment about it to my dad, I grabbed onto him.  Long story short, I wouldn't let my mom put him back on the shelf and they had no choice but to buy the ugliest stuffed animal on the shelf.  My parents named him BooBoo, since I was too young to talk, let alone name a toy. We have pictures all throughout my childhood carting BooBoo along under my arm.  My parents knew how much I loved him and how great the likelihood was that I would ruin him if I were allowed to take him everywhere with me, so I was only allowed to take him outside of the house when I was going to a sleepover.  He has survived a lot.  He has been thrown up on, he has lost a majority of his hair, his tail and bowtie have been sewn back on multiple times, and his eyeballs and nose have been totally worn off.  He also used to have whiskers, and if I'm remembering correctly...he doesn't anymore.  I still sleep with him every night and have a hard time sleeping if he isn't there.  He is going in my carry on for my upcoming trip to Ireland....embarrassing?  Maybe?  Worth taking him to be able to get to sleep once I fight through the jet lag...definitely!

(Explanation of the picture...my dear friend Stephanie started dating this guy named Mike when we were seniors in high school.  Mike quickly became one of my best friends as well, and it was only a matter of time before he discovered this ugly secret I slept with every night.  He definitely wasn't supportive, so for his birthday one year, I made him a poster of BooBoo.  Just so he could enjoy him as much as I did!  Ha!)

So there you have it...the main man in my life is balding, ugly, and smells bad.  Pretty typical.

No comments:

Post a Comment