Friday, December 2, 2011

Lessons

Just a little tidbit from the homeless shelter to put our Christmas spending in perspective.

We are treating a handful of our guys and gals to Christmas gifts this year.  These individuals have helped us clean up during our closed hours and have consistently been selflessly giving of their time to pour into the place that they call home.  They are really valuable to our organization, and honestly a Christmas present is the least that we can do.

So we have posed the question of what they would like for Christmas. 

One of our guys asked us for batteries to put into his walkman.  Batteries.  That is all he wanted.


Talk about motivation to stop and put to shame the fact that I just paid 200 bucks for my own personal Christmas present to myself....let alone the several hundred more that I will give and receive in gifts this year.  And this guy wouldn't even have batteries to listen to his radio if someone hadn't offered.

Because I work for a social service agency and I am touched with the depravity that is so prevalent in our community....I'm going to insert my PSA for the year.

Please be generous with the money that you have been blessed with this year and give to worthwhile organizations that will use your money to bless others.  Catholic Charities, UGM, the little red buckets for the Salvation Army, Volunteers of America...they are all so worthwhile and working together to bring hope and a sense of wholeness to a community that desperately needs it.

I hope that your holidays are kicking off in joyous fashion! 

2 comments:

  1. I love you, Dani Haller. I just love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have these same feelings every Christmas too. When our seniors only ask for socks or a blanket or a warm pair of gloves. And it totally makes their year.

    ReplyDelete