Monday, May 16, 2011

Portlandia

4 days of much needed R&R in the Portland area = refreshing!

I was born in Portland so the place holds a lot of special memories for me and also holds some of my favorite people.  When I was little, I was always so proud to announce that I was an "Oregonian"....and not from Spokane.  You could say it was my calling card....I was cooler than everyone else because I wasn't from here.  I may have thought that and announced it to everyone....but its kinda true too!  ;)

But seriously, this weekend was certainly refreshing.  We drove through the old neighborhood and drove past the motel that Grammie stayed in one time when I was about 3 years and which I affectionately named "Grammie's House".  I could have sworn she lived there for real....  We also explored the Rhodedendron Garden which is located right across from Reed College, which was completely beautiful.


 They do weddings...I sure wish someone would do a wedding there, because I'd love to see that one played out!  So beautiful! 

Speaking of wedding spots...check this place. Imbrie Hall in Hillsboro (went there with the Boboths for dinner) and it looks like they put on a pretty good party too....I should be a wedding planner.  I love them so much I could talk about them all day.


My only experience with Reed College is from the book "Blue Like Jazz", so when I saw the sign I was
a) really excited to see the place that Donald Miller always talks about...
b) really interested to see if it was as "hippy, liberal" as he describes.

We parked in an overflow parking lot right next to the tennis courts, and that brief moment was all that I needed to realize that the man knows what he is talking about.  If you were to drive past the tennis courts at Eastern you would see people in gym shorts and sneakers.  Reed College tennis courts.....all I saw were earth tones and birkenstocks.  One thing about Portland is that I'm not alternative enough for it.  I'd be one of those annoying people who actually like athletics and don't wear all organic clothing...my bad.


Catching up with family was pretty sweet as well.  I've been blessed with a really ecclectic group of people that have helped turn me into the person that I am today, and I got to see almost all of them this weekend!  My uncle works at Nike and lets just say he gave me all new meaning to name for the Nike Free shoes....haha.  I am riding pretty with some new hot pink kicks (and blue...and yellow)!  LOVE!





But my absolute favorite moments were spent with my wondeful friends, Laura and Cole!  I have read Laura's blog since its inception, so I know of how romantic Cole is towards her and how thoughtful she is towards him, so it should have come at no surprise that they would go above and beyond to make my day special.  Laura had read my Bucket List that I posted last week and they planned a few treats for our trip to the beach.  Lets just say I officially get to cross off the one about visiting both oceans, the one about building a huge sandcastle with a moat, the one about flying kites, AND the one about sending a message in a bottle.  Thoughtful?  I thought so too.

Spending time with Cole and Laura reminds me how blessed I am with the friends that I met in college. I firmly believe that God made us to live in relationship with one another in a really intimate and personal way, and he has blessed me beyond belief with people who have taken the time to get to know me in that way. I love how diverse we all are and how different all of our hearts are, but also how much we all have grown to find commonalities and grown to love each other for our differences.  And as for Cole and Laura....they are two of my favorite blessings in my life and in the lives of so many I know.  Seperately they are two of my favorite people and together they are such a great picture of what a Godly relationship can and should look like.  Thanks you two for a wonderful weekend and such a show of hospitality.  And Laura....mail me some of those cinnamon rolls....I'm not sure I got my fix.

So back to the grindstone.....but at least I have a bag of salt water taffy to take with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment