Monday, October 29, 2012

Sandy did not play nice...

To my dear friends and family back home: I have not been swept out to sea or blown off the map. But, can I just say that I really appreciate Spokane's mild climate after today?  

Winds started to pick up yesterday, but REALLY picked up today.  The wind was literally shaking the entire house throughout most of the day. We lost power...for 5 minutes (if that). Pretty exciting really...and nothing more than that here in Boston.  Lots of coastal flooding in other places and New York, New Jersey, Maryland, and even Southern Mass need a lot of prayer because their clean-up is going to be a lot more difficult than ours.  I'm sure news coverage has been extensive everywhere in the country, but being on the East Coast, I have seen a lot of images of people that are really going to meet some tough challenges up ahead after this storm. So keep those prayers coming!  

One thought I had during all of this is how much more prepared they were here than they were for Hurricane Katrina.  I guess you can take a political/racial spin with that, or you can chalk it up to a lot of lessons learned following that particular event.  Whatever the case, the response was really good here in Massachusetts and I think most states would agree that their response was good too!

Lots of people out here also like to downplay how bad storms are...  Coming from a location that barely ever has anything worse than a couple feet of snow or an occasional dust storm, this was bad.  Don't let these crazy East Coasters tell you otherwise. 

As for Boston University, they canceled classes today and are canceling any classes that are scheduled  before 11:00 AM tomorrow since transportation is still trying to get up and running again!  This is good for me because I have an 8:00 AM class, and I didn't feel like getting up for it!  I like to think I'm a responsible and motivated graduate student, but if I can have class canceled for any reason at all, I will gladly take it.  :)

Thanks to those that prayed for our safety here.  I'm loving my time here in Boston...natural disasters and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment