Monday, September 3, 2012

First Few Days

So, obviously I made it to Boston.  I was honestly really worried about the trip, as most of you knew, because my cat is not an experienced flier and typically doesn't have a very good attitude about things he doesn't want to do.  Both of those rang true.  He looked inexperienced and he looked stressed out.  But he also made it alive and is growing accustomed to his new home!

As am I. My bedroom is not put together as of yet, so no pictures of that, but my apartment is great.  We live in a (HUGE by my standards) house.  The house is split up by floor into apartments, and I'm not sure when it was built, but it has to be the oldest house I've ever lived in.  Creaky hardwood floors, REALLY old vent grates for the air conditioning, it looks like it has been lived in for many many years before I got here. But it has modern things going on too and it's painted nice and my roommates are great, so I'm excited to live here.  I, as of yesterday, ran out of storage space for my clothes, so I have a pretty impressive pile of stuff just waiting to be given a home....and two more boxes.  Unpacking seems endless.

So, back to what might be the most important part, school.  I have orientation tomorrow which lasts all day and then an orientation for my internship on Thursday.  And other than that, I have a lot of time to explore.  Classes don't start until next Monday.  Next Monday is also my personal deadline for trying to receive my books in the mail.  I am, as a result of the move and our postal service, missing three books for school.  Two of which are VERY expensive....and I would be VERY disappointed to purchase again.  I had gotten them pretty cheap as an old edition online, but there is no more time for that.  If I have to buy them again, I'm getting the expensive ones.  So not excited about that one.
I also have a novel to read tonight...literally.  I'm not proud to say it, but I have left my summer reading to the last night of summer.  Typical.

As for Boston, it is beautiful.  But I already knew that.  That's why I came back.  I visited Boston last November and when I got to the airport to go back home, I felt myself wanting to stay.  There is an exceptionally exciting vibe here.  I can't describe it, but it's a great spot.

I rented a car for my first day so I could retrieve some boxes and make crucial trips to Target and the grocery store, and I have never been more glad to get rid of a rental car in my whole life.  Driving here is terrifying.  They don't really mark lanes, especially downtown.  So, cars just sort of make their own lanes and line up wherever they want.  It is haphazard....it makes no sense...I hated it.  By the grace of God I wasn't in a wreck, because this country girl does not drive in anything more than Seattle traffic...and this was a whole new ballgame.  My roommate said that I was going to be safe because of my NY license plate on the rental.  Everyone knows New Yorkers have terrible drivers, so they give wide berths.

As for exploring the city, I haven't done much of that....because I've been busy with moving in and going to all the stores that we have at home anyways.  Boring.  However, I did end up in Downtown Boston for a bit yesterday after dropping off the rental car and did the touristy thing and went to Quincy Market.  They have street performers that are hugely popular there.  In Spokane, we have terrible street performers and we also have totally disinterested passersby.  Here, there are GREAT street performers and a LOT of tourists that totally dig them.  So, I had some soup and watched a dance/comedy group perform.  They were totally politically incorrect and I loved it.
This was one of many...I walked past the contortionist, because I was eating and he was gross.

I also hit the very edge of campus to get a book at the bookstore.  I was greeted with a 5 story student bookstore....the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.  I'm in trouble.

So, as you can see.  Things are big.  They will take time to explore. I'm excited to be here, and not excited to have left you all behind.  Being all the way across the country is eye opening, because things are really different and you realize just how far you willingly moved from everyone you love.  But it's also really exciting and I couldn't be happier to be in this city that I fell in love with so much.

Love you all!


1 comment:

  1. It's great to hear from you... you're on such an adventure.

    Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete