Friday, June 17, 2011

Hitting a high note

We aren't seeing much sun here in the Pacific Northwest.  June 17th and we still haven't hit 80 degrees.  I remember being young and hardly being able to handle being inside at school because of how hot it was at this time of year.

So...in honor of that...I've been listening to a lot of feel good music that takes my mind off how ridiculously garbage-like the weather is.  My summers are defined by music.  I remember listening to J Lo's "If You Had My Love" and dancing on the front porch of my best friend's house the summer before my 8th grade year.  The summer I was in Tahoe, we would blast Miley Cyrus with the windows down....just because we could and because we were cool like that. Last summer, I was kept good company by lots of good dance tunes and lots of good opportunities for dancing!  This summer might be different...lots of work....not a lot of spare time....but in true summertime fashion...lots of good music.

This summer I'm particularly obsessed with a few tunes that I would like to share...in case you haven't heard them and are looking for some new (or recycled) beats!

1) OneRepublic "Won't Stop"
Youtube - OneRepublic -Won't Stop


This is off their "Dreaming Out Loud" album from 2007.

I discovered this one from my beautiful friend's wedding slideshow (James and Ashley...you guys have such creative minds!).  I have quickly become pretty infatuated with it.  I guess it is kind of unexpected for OneRepublic, which is what I like.  Not to mention that it tickles my romantic funny bone.  Perfect and whimsical.  Love it.

2) Augustana "Sweet and Low" (acoustic version preferably!)
Youtube - Augustana-Sweet and Low


This is off their "Can't Love, Can't Hurt" album from 2008.

My friend Derek posted that he was thinking of this song, and it reminded me how much I love it too.  I have since been listening to it non-stop.  I saw Augustana in concert once and feel sort of dumb that I haven't pursued them a little bit better.  I guess I wasn't super impressed with the big single that they put out ("Boston"), so I gave up on them.  I have some renewed interest now.

3) My Morning Jacket "Movin' Away"
Youtube - My Morning Jacket -Movin' Away


This is off their "Circuital" album from 2011 (just released)

This band is pretty new for me, but I just have been hearing a lot about them in the recent past.  Turns out they have a really interesting mix of sounds...lots of really upbeat stuff but some slower ones too. This one is kind of perfect in my opinion.  They are at Lollapalooza this year....just one more reason that I'm upset that I'm not there.

4) Martin Solveig & Dragonette "Hello"
Youtube - Martin Solveig and Dragonette - Hello


This is off his album "Smash" from 2011 (also just released this month)

This is so upbeat.  Perfect song for the summer.  No explanation necessary!

5) Natasha Bedingfield "Strip Me"
Youtube - Natasha Bedingfield - Strip Me


This is from her "Strip Me" album from 2010.

I just got done watching "Morning Glory" and this song was definitely the featured song on the soundtrack, and rightfully so.  So good!  I could dance in my underwear all day to this song....literally.  Thankfully I have lots of other things to do with my day, so I won't actually do that. Maybe just half a day.  :)


Any other songs sparking your interest?  I want in on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment